When there’s love and a baby carriage, but no marriage

How an attorney can assist an unmarried parent in establishing paternity, custody, and child support.

Families come in all shapes and sizes but when the parents of a child are not married parental rights are different than they are for married couples who separate after the birth of their children. There are a great many factors to consider in these circumstances including the legal implications and the legal options that may be available to you.

In Massachusetts, the mother has “presumed” legal and physical custody of a child from a non-marital relationship. Presumed means that the mother has custody until the Court is shown otherwise. In other words, this custody can be challenged when the father asserts his rights in Court. That doesn’t mean that suddenly the father has custody because he files a complaint. It means that the Court will then decide custody based on the best interest of the child using a variety of factors. Such factors could include the parents’ backgrounds, support systems, and geography as well as a parent’s relationship with the child.

Navigating the Courts

It’s important to note that the Courts encourage parents to work together and coordinate a resolution that works for their family. When that doesn’t happen, there are various ways to obtain custody, parenting time and child support through the Court. Our office can assist you in navigating the Courts in this process and determining what options are available to you to ensure that your rights are protected.

Choose An Experienced Family Law Attorney

At Cohen Cleary, P.C. we have extensive experience representing clients in Family Law matters involving paternity, custody, and child support. We will advocate on your behalf to ensure that all the proper procedures are followed in your case. We will zealously fight for your goals whether that means fighting for or against the establishment of paternity as well as all related issues of custody and child support. Please contact our office as soon as possible to discuss your case and how we can help you to achieve your goals regarding child support.

Authored by Janna K. Saad, Esq of Cohen Cleary, P.C. in Raynham and Plymouth, MA.

Written by admin